When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Allison Spooner’s Ordination & Installation
5 pm Sunday, March 26 in the Sanctuary. On Tuesday, Allison was examined and approved at a called meeting of Carlisle Presbytery, and on Sunday she will be ordained and installed as Teaching Elder. Allison will be the Pastor of the Shared Ministry of the Faith and Hope United Presbyterian Churches in our presbytery. A reception follows in Fellowship Hall. The service will also be live streamed.
- Welcome Guest Preacher Rev. Heather McLaughlin Sigler
On Sunday, March 26 Derry welcomes Rev. Heather Sigler as our guest preacher. Heather served Pine Street Presbyterian Church, Harrisburg as Parish Associate from 2008-11 and again since 2014. Until 2008, she served as Associate for Congregational Service in the Presbytery of Carlisle. Heather was also pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Sayre. She studied at American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, received her BA from Grove City College, an M.Ed. for Penn State and her D.Min. from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.
- New Member Classes Begin April 23
The six-week spring series of New Member Discovery Classes will begin Sunday, April 23 at 9 am in the Lounge. Classes will be repeated Wednesdays from 6-7 pm beginning April 26. Meet the church staff and leaders and find out more about the mission and ministry of Derry Church and how you can get involved. Those who decide to join will be received as members at the 10:30 am service on Sunday, May 28. Register by Wednesday, April 19.
- Rev. Anne Myers is New Carlisle Presbytery Associate
Reverend Anne K. Myers has been hired to serve as the Presbytery Associate for Connection and Communication with our Sessions. In this position she will work to enhance and foster relationships between congregations and sessions and the Presbytery of Carlisle. Rev. Myers has served in suburban, downtown and rural churches ranging in size from 65 to 2,400 members. She is a long-time member of Carlisle Presbytery, where she has been an installed pastor at two of our churches, and she has preached and/or taught in most of our other churches including Derry. Additionally, Rev. Myers has served as Interim Pastor to three of our congregations. Over the next two years she will be in contact with all of our churches and sessions to schedule a time for the sharing of ideas and strengthening our sense of connectionalism. Anne and her husband, Rev. Charles “Buz” Myers, reside in Camp Hill.
- Volunteer for These Recurring Mission Opportunities
- Downtown Daily Bread is on the first Sunday on even-numbered months. Six volunteers are needed to serve lunch at Pine Street Presbyterian Church’s soup kitchen. Volunteers leave Derry Church at 11:30 am and return by 2 pm. Next opportunity: Sunday, April 2.
- Bethesda Mobile Mission is on the first Friday of odd-numbered months. Six volunteers are needed to travel in Bethesda Mobile Mission’s van and deliver meals and supplies to homeless individuals in downtown Harrisburg. Volunteers meet 9 pm at Bethesda Mission, finished by 12 am. Youth age 12 and older are encouraged to participate with their parents. Next opportunity: Friday, May 5.
Volunteers: please contact Craig Smith (566 4757)
- PW Spring Gathering: April 1
9 am - 2 pm Saturday, April 1 at Warfordsburg Presbyterian Church. "Community Gardening" will be the morning program, and Cherry Arwin, a planner at South Central Community Action Program , will present the afternoon program. A light lunch will be served (donation). To carpool, contact Doris Feil.
- 9th Annual Mission Classic Golf Outing: June 3
8 am Saturday, June 3 at Deer Valley Golf Course in Hummelstown. This four-person scramble offers lots of contests. If you don’t have a foursome, sign up and we’ll make a group for you. Proceeds will benefit the Hershey Food Bank and Community Outreach, which provides for those who are in need of food and household items throughout the Hershey area. Download a brochure to register. Questions? Contact Greg German (717- 512-0659).
- A Safe Church Retreat for Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse: April 22
8:30 am - 3 pm Saturday, April 22 at Gretna Glen Retreat Center, Lebanon. Adult survivors are invited to join with others from faith communities for a day of reflection on how the story of Tamar, a daughter of King David who was raped by her brother, speaks to us today about healing, resilience, and hope. Through art, journalism, and discussion we will explore how our stories speak out about surviving, resilience, and ways to use our voices for healing and justice in our churches and community. Those who have previously attended these retreats are welcome back! We are including some new activities and fresh material, so please add your voice! Space is limited so register early to reserve your place. $35/person includes lunch. Registration deadline is April 18.
- Saturday, March 25 is Orange Day...
... a day to show support of those working to educate others and end trafficking of women and children. Trafficking of person means recruitment and holding persons by force, fraud or coercion for purposes of exploitation including forced labor, servitude, removal or organs, prostitution, and other sexual exploitation. Wear orange to show your support.