When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- May 2017 Session Report
- Received the monthly financial statements from the Treasurer and reports from the Board of Deacons and all committees.
- Reviewed recent baptism requests and approved the following:
- Benjamin Dominic Farbaniec, son of members Michael & Rebecca Farbaniec
- Edward Lloyd Morgan, son of Lloyd & Ginny Morgan who will join Derry that same day
- Ginny Gu Qiuyan Morgan, adult baptism upon profession of faith
- Gavin Joseph Berk and James Martin Berk, sons of Derry members Steven & Priscilla Berk
- Josefine Emerie Minnich, daughter of Shaun & Valerie Barr Minnich (Valerie is a former Derry member who is worshipping regularly at Derry)
- Mason Sims Mohler and Ophelia Knight Mohler, children of members Frances & Jeremy Mohler
- Sara Grace Bailey, daughter of Kevin & Katie McMullen Bailey (Katie is a former Derry member and actively participating at a Brethren Church in Maryland)
- Ian Taylor Bellaman and Bailey Rose Bellaman, children of Derry member Dawn Bellaman and her husband Paul
Morgan Jean Brandt, daughter of Greg and Emily Brandt
- Approved a transfer of membership for Mary and Richard Zesiger to Buffalo-Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Cumberland, Ohio. Approved the removal of Allison Spooner from Derry’s active membership role due to her ordination. Allison is now a member of Carlisle Presbytery.
- Approved engaging the services of Boyer & Ritter to perform a scheduled audit of Derry’s financial records for the year 2016 in an amount not to exceed $10,000.
- Approved Steven Guenther as a signatory on Derry’s Vanguard accounts.
- Approved renewal of the Brong Scholarship for Christopher Houtz as he enters his second year at Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Approved the addition of Denn Hollandsmith as a new member of the Communications & Technology committee.
- Approved the 2017-18 Communion schedule as presented by the Worship and Spiritual Life Committee.
- Approved a building use request from Nicola Burke for Friday January 5, 2018 for a trombone choir concert, proceeds from which will benefit an organization benefiting domestic abuse victims, and waived all building use fees.
- Approved new software purchases for the office due to out-of-date editions and upgrading to assist with online giving.
- Approved Seth Mullen’s request to support Hershey Heroes’ Day on Saturday May 20 in downtown Hershey by setting up a table on behalf of Derry Church and performing face painting.
- Rescue In the Night
A fully staged, costumed production of Rescue in the Night will be presented at the 10:30 am worship service on Sunday, June 4 in the Sanctuary. This musical takes us back to the Old Testament as the children in Derry's Music & Arts program bring the story of Daniel in the lion's den to life! The musical is directed by Dr. Sean McCarthy, with stage direction and choreography by Frances Mohler. Derry’s annual church picnic follows the musical. The 8 am worship service, on this Pentecost Sunday, will be held as usual in the Chapel. Remember to wear red!
- Congratulations 2017 Graduates!
These Derry Church high school graduates were recognized during worship on Sunday morning. L-R, seated: Eric Englund-Krieger, Kathryn Kinney, Emilee Brock and Ross Good. Not pictured: Dan and Sam Dornberger, Owen Ladd, Catherine Martinez, Alyson Meyerhoffer, Matthew Campbell & Erin Wolfe. Congratulations to all!
- 2017 VBS Registration & Volunteer Signup
This year’s Vacation Bible School theme is “Building Faith in God.” VBS will be held August 7-11 from 9 am - 12 pm. Children ages 4 through 5th grade are invited to join us for a fun-filled week of stories, music, crafts, games and snacks.
Registration forms are now available online and at the insert rack
Many volunteers are needed as leaders in our classrooms, to help with snacks and registration, and to have fun in our story, craft and recreation rooms. Anyone in 6th grade and older is welcome to join the fun. Download a form to volunteer.
All volunteers 18 and older will need to provide their clearances: Child Abuse from the PA Dept. of Human Services, Criminal History Record from the PA State Police and if you have not lived in the state of PA for the last 10 consecutive years you will need the Federal Criminal History Record.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church (533-9667) with any questions or concerns. We hope you will join us for Derry’s 2017 Vacation Bible School.
- 3D Puzzles Under Construction
Are you good at building 3D jigsaw puzzles? Please stop in the Hammond Library throughout the summer to construct some building -shaped puzzles that will be displayed during this year’s “Building Faith in God” Vacation Bible School program in August.
- Fourth Annual Lace Up with Love INC Sneaker Drive
June 4 through August 12, you’re invited to purchase a new pair of sneakers (name brands preferred) for a child in need (grades K-12) in the Lower Dauphin and Derry Township school districts. Sneakers will be distributed by Love INC of Greater Hershey in mid-August so students will have a new pair in time for the start of the school year. Athletic sneakers for boys and girls, children’s size 12 through women’s size 11/Men’s size 15 are needed, as well as NEW socks (low cut and mid-calf). Monetary donations are also welcome and appreciated, and can be made online or brought to the Love INC office across the street from Derry Church. Drop off sneakers in the designated basket in the atrium mission closet. More info by calling Love INC: 835-0101.
- Church Office Closed Monday, May 29
The church office will be closed for Memorial Day, and open 9 am Tuesday, May 30.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.