When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Are You Running in the Hershey Half?
Please let us know so we can keep you (and all the runners) in our prayers on Sunday morning.
- Preschool Silent Auction Begins Oct 20You’re invited to bid on the silent auction items on display in the Narthex near the nursery. The auction closes at 11:30 am Saturday, Nov 3 during the Derry Discovery Days’ Family Fall Festival (10am-12pm). Items include a baseball & football lover’s package, children’s book package, theater and museum passes, brunch for two at the Hotel Hershey, Downstreet Salon services, birthday party packages, travel packages to Philadelphia/Washington DC/Pittsburgh, golf at the Hershey Country Club, photography session, dance class packages, toys, Strasburg Railroad, gift card basket, themed gift baskets and much more. Winners will be contacted by phone if they are not present at the end of the auction. Proceeds benefit the preschool.
- CROP Hunger Walk on Oct 28
Learn more about the 2018 CROP Walk... sign up at church or sign up online and get ready to walk at 1 pm Sunday, October 28 on the Milton Hershey School grounds!
- Important Online Pledging NoticeThanks to attentive member Gregg Robertson who let us know our online pledge form was not working properly last week. It's fixed now. If you tried to submit your 2019 pledge from our website before October 17, we'd appreciate it if you would submit your pledge again. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- October 2018 Financial SnapshotCash Flow - Operating Fund as of 9/30/18
Income YTD 977,797 932,561 Expenses YTD 950,270 948,822 Surplus (Deficit) YTD 27,527 (16,261)Contributions to the general fund are $37k over budget and $107k over 2017. Building & Grounds is over budget due to repairs needed to the sprinkler system and heating system. Committee expenses are in line with expectations. Questions? Contact Steven Guenther, treasurer.
- NEW: Friday Evening Women's Group Oct 197 pm Friday, Oct 19 in Room 7… stay as long as your schedule allowsME Steelman and Liz Gawron welcome all women to take a "night off" and join with friends from Derry and the community as we enjoy an evening of spiritual reflection and creativity. We will begin using Gracelaced as our guide to conversation and use the message as a resource for our suggested creative piece. No preparation required. Come as you are and enjoy time for yourself as you reflect, converse, listen and create at this new "Art in the Grove" supported ministry. We hope you will join us. Can’t make it this month? The group will also meet on Nov 16 and Dec 14.
- Are You Good at Tidying Up? We Need You Once a Week!The Worship & Spiritual Life Committee is on the lookout for people available for an hour once a week to tidy up the pews in the Chapel and Sanctuary in preparation for Sunday worship. Learn from experts Mary Jane Mease and Jill Campbell on a Tuesday morning, and once you know the drill, you can pick the day and time that works best for you. For more information and to volunteer, contact Al Porter.
- 2019 Dominican Republic Mission TripPut your faith into action and join Derry's mission trip to the Dominican Republic from June 8-16, 2019. A sign-up sheet is posted on the Mission & Peace bulletin board in the Narthex.You'll work with folks in the local community to build/repair houses and lead Bible school activities. Minimum age is 13-15 accompanied by a parent/guardian, no upper age limit. Cost is $1650; applications (available in January) and payment due Feb 24. A limited number of grants are available to defray up to half of the cost of the trip; download an application or pick up in the church office. Questions? Contact Pete Feil. This is an opportunity to experience life as lived by much of the world.
- "Swan Songs" Concert on Nov 18 Features Music of Brahms, Schubert4 pm Sunday, Nov 18 in the Sanctuary • Offering • An Arts Alive EventIn the last years of his life, Brahms fell in love one last time: with the clarinet! His Sonata in E-flat contains some of most beautiful melodies you’ll ever hear, performed by superb clarinetist Beverly Butts. Toward the end of his life, Schubert wrote his very last song cycle, the beloved Swan Songs sung here by acclaimed New York-based soprano Jennifer Groves. Sean McCarthy provides accompaniment on the piano,
- From Horse-Drawn to Horseless Carriage: Nov 2010 am Tuesday, Nov 20 in Room 7 • FreeNext month the Derry Seniors welcome Bob Ladd to talk about a century of transportation progress. The program is free. Bring a friend! Lunch follows: $3/person in Fellowship Hall.
- Don't Miss the Bus!
If you'd like to go on the annual NYC bus trip on November 17, be sure to sign up this Sunday, October 21 in the Narthex. Table will be staffed for 30 minutes after the 11 am service. We have 14 seats available, If you are unable to make your reservation that day, please contact Julie Miller at 717-370-1003.
- Orange Day is Thursday, Oct 25The Pennsylvania legislature recently passed a bill to give greater protection to those who have a Protection From Abuse order against their abuser. This month is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Join with Derry's Presbyterian Women and wear orange on Oct 25 to show support for those working to end domestic violence and show awareness of the problem.
- Serve Breakfast at "Gather the Spirit" on Oct 278:30 am Saturday, Oct 27 • Common Ground Cafe at the Unitarian Church, 16th & Market, HarrisburgJoin Derry Church volunteers to serve breakfast to the people of the Allison Hill community. At this "Gather the Spirit" monthly breakfast program, you'll serve the meal, then sit down across the table for food and conversation and get to know our Harrisburg neighbors. RSVP to Karen Leader.At our 10:30 am worship on Sunday, Oct 28, you'll hear more about "Gather the Spirit" from president of the board, Clay Lambert.
- A Musical Collection of American Classics: Oct 214 pm Sunday, Oct 21 at Faith Immanuel Presbyterian Church, Harrisburg. The Vintage Brass, Percussionist Tim Rupert, Vocalist Tamara Black, Clarinetist Steven Christ, along with piano and organ players, Caleb Flick, Barb Buckingham and Wanda Beaver will combine their musical talents in a program that pays tribute to some of America’s greatest composers. Hear George Gershwin’s famous "Rhapsody In Blue" as performed by Caleb Flick. Steve will perform two Gershwin works: "Three Piano Preludes" and "Walking the Dog." Other featured pieces include works of Leonard Bernstein in celebration of what would have been his 100th birthday. The Brass will play the Liberty Bell March and Duke Ellington’s "Take The A Train." Tammy will present "Summertime" from Gershwin’s "Porgy and Bess." And you'll enjoy piano/organ duets from Caleb and Wanda along with Barb’s outstanding renditions of "Piano Man" and "The Stars and Stripes Forever." Full combined selections include "When You Wish Upon A Star" and "I Can Cook, Too" from the Broadway musical "On The Town." Free will offering.
- Attention Derry Artists and CraftsmenYou are invited to donate one of your creations to the 17th annual Silent Auction, to be held Nov 25-Dec 2 in the Narthex. Your donation should be given to Pete Feil by Nov 18 along with the minimum acceptable bid for that item. All proceeds benefit Mission Week 2019.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.