Cash Flow – Operating Fund as of 5/31/21
Notes from the treasurer:
- Contributions are in line with 2020.
- Committee spending generally in line with budget. Personnel is under budget as many misc expenses are under budget. Salaries are generally in line with budget.
- Admin is under budget as insurance for 2021 was paid at end of 2020 instead of start of 2021.
- Cash flow is about $20K behind last year.
Derry Discovery Days Preschool (DDD) has openings for the 2021-22 school year! Spots remain in the Busy Bee 3’s morning class and the Butterfly 4s afternoon class. There is a waiting list for the Turtle 2s class. For more details on the individual classes, please click here.
DDD plans to open its Ladybug 1 Year Old classroom in mid-fall. Children must be one year old by September 1st and walking. For more details, email Laura Cox or call 717-533-9667 ext. 201.
Derry Church celebrates with Derry member Lori Speck on her 40 year service anniversary at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center! Lori works in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Thanks for all the families and babies she has helped over the last 40 years. Congratulations!
7 PM TUESDAY, JUNE 22 IN THE CHAPEL
You asked, we heard you: evening worship returns to the Chapel once a month beginning June 22! Join Pastor Stephen for evening worship, prayers, and communion. Next month the evening Chapel service will be held on July 13.
11:30 AM-12:30 PM SUNDAYS: JUL 18, JUL 25, AUG 1 & AUG 8 IN THE LOUNGE
Learn more about the mission and ministry of Derry Church in a series of hour-long classes offered after 10:30 am worship on Sunday mornings. Those who decide to join will be received on Sunday, Aug 8. Questions? Need child care? Contact Pastor Marie.
CLICK TO REGISTER (always appreciated, never required)
7:30 PM FRIDAY, JUNE 25 ON THE FRONT LAWN
To tie in with our “Animals of the Bible” summer church school, we’ll be screening Zootopia. We’ll provide the popcorn and mini water bottles. Bring a blanket for your family to sit on.
Since 1998 the Alliance for Children Everywhere has had two temporary homes is Zambia: House of Moses and the Bill and Bette Bryant Nursery. These homes have sheltered over 1,000 babies and children between rescue and family placement. These temporary crisis homes are the difference between life and death for orphaned and abandoned children. The response begins the moment a child arrives, with a warm bed. nourishing food, and soft clothing. They experience safety, consistency and loving attention.
Place coins in zip-close bags and check that no other items such as paper clips, buttons, stray pieces of metal or anything not legal tender is in the bags. Foreign coins must be bagged separately. Look for collection baskets at the Chapel and Sanctuary entrances.
Thanks for supporting Change for Children on Sunday, June 20.
- Thanks to all who contributed to the PW Birthday Offering which totaled $1,429.
- Do you have items for hygiene bags for the Domestic Violence Center in Harrisburg? Drop off deodorants, washcloths, toothbrushes, sample size toothpastes, wide-tooth combs, tissue packets in the box at the office entrance by June 20.
Check the wooden rack between the doors at the office entrance, or in the Narthex, for your new copy of “These Days” devotionals.
Registrations from students in need have already been collected in Lower Dauphin and Derry Township school districts so that children can receive new sneakers before the start of the 2021-22 school year. Now it’s time to find NEW sneakers to put on their feet.
300+ pairs are needed in various sizes. Check the Love INC website throughout the summer for specific quantities and sizes needs. General size ranges:
- For male students, children’s size 11 through adult size 16
- For female students, children’s size 11 through adult size 12
Name-brand athletic sneakers are preferred for quality and durability; please avoid mature styles (ex. velcro closures on adult sizes) and super mart brands.
Sneakers are being collected through August 3. Purchases at Reebok in the Tanger Outlets at Hershey may be left at the store, where you can get an additional 20% discount on sneaker drive donations. All other sneaker purchases may be brought to the Love INC office across the street from Derry Church.
- Reviewed the Treasurer’s report for the year to date. Contributions are in line with the budget and 2020 giving. Expenses are also in line with the budget.
- The Session reviewed recommendations from the COVID Task Force and approved the following:
- Up to 50 worshipers in the Chapel at 8 am with face masks optional for those who are fully vaccinated
- Up to 150 worshipers in the Sanctuary at 10:30 am, face masks required
- No registration required for in-person worship
- Singers & wind instrumentalists continue to be masked at 10:30 am worship
- Nursery care for children 1-3 begins June 13
- Masks optional at outdoor worship & fellowship
- Groups/committees decide among themselves whether or not to wear masks
- Beginning in June funeral meals may be served with a maximum of 75 people
- Live streaming continues
- Approved a Capital Procurement Requisition to perform lighting upgrades throughout the church building. The upgrades will include replacement of emergency lighting and exit signs, upgrading the light quality in Fellowship Hall with more efficient LED fixtures and bulbs, and conversion from fluorescent to LED lighting in the church office, basement corridors and narthex. Funding for the project provided by the Capital Facilities Restricted Fund.
- Accepted with appreciation a $200,000 donation from an anonymous donor. The funds will be used for four different purposes:
- $100,000 to be deposited into a newly created “Transportation Fund” for the purpose of purchasing and maintaining a new van or other church-owned vehicle
- $50,000 to be used to build a new wing on the Sargodha School in Pakistan
- $30,000 towards cemetery restoration
- $20,000 placed in a new “Youth Transformation Assistance” Fund which will support community youth with life transforming experiences
- Received a report from the Buildings and Grounds Committee on recommendations for restoring the cemetery to address broken & dislocated grave markers, deteriorating portions of the cemetery wall, remove trees whose roots are disturbing the grave markers and wall, and regrade/reseed the turf. The project will span the next three years with the goal of completion prior to Derry’s 300th anniversary celebration at which time the cemetery will be rededicated. The total cost of the project is estimated to be $202,000, with funds coming from donations, cemetery plot sales, and Derry’s Legacy Fund. The Session approved the project.
- Approved a revised position description for Derry’s Sexton position.
10:15-11:30 AM IN THE NURSERY SUITE
- For ages one to three
- Plan on extra time to check in as sign-in procedures have changed for the safety of all children in our care
- Drop off and pick up outside the door to the nursery suite
- Please label all items belonging to your child
As in person worship gains momentum, it’s time to recruit some extra hands to help out at 10:30 am worship. Here’s what you need to know about the new role of Derry Church host:
- Two hosts needed every Sunday: one by the courtyard entrance, one by the choir room/elevator
- Arrive by 10 am
- Welcome people arriving for worship
- Offer assistance as needed
- Count how many people are in the Sanctuary during worship
- During the service, sit near your assigned Sanctuary door to greet latecomers and help anyone who needs assistance
- Sign up online or call the church office (717-533-9667)
5-7 PM SUNDAY, JUNE 6
8-10 PM THURSDAY, JUNE 10
Games on June 3 are cancelled.
Games played at Veteran’s Park off Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg. Bring a comfy chair and cheer on the team!
Here’s an opportunity to join the awesome Derry Church staff! Primary duties include securing the church building and grounds, minor repairs, timely response for maintenance and security issues; and light supplemental cleaning. Must be willing to adapt to varying schedules and level of work required.
- Hours vary and will typically range from 17 – 20 hours per week
- 7:30 am – 1:00 pm Sunday morning
- Monday-Thursday, 3 to 3.5 hours daily
- Hourly rate of $14.00
Skills and Experience:
- High school graduate or comparable, relevant experience.
- Some knowledge of simple plumbing, electrical, and general repair work.
- Previous experience in a custodial, light maintenance/repair setting desirable.
- Upon hire, successfully complete CPR/First Aid Training and Derry Church emergency and security protocols.
All employees of Derry Presbyterian Church are required to produce current documentation or obtain the PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, and a FBI Criminal Record Check.
Please email your resume or letter of interest and/or questions to Kathy McGrath.
6-8 PM MONDAYS, JUNE 21-AUG 30 IN ROOM 7
GriefShare is a friendly, caring group of people who walk alongside people through one of life’s most difficult experiences, offering support to those who are dealing with the loss of a loved ones from death.
Participants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of all who attend. Register by contacting Marie Buffaloe or call the church office (717-533-9667). No cost to attend. Child care is not available.
CHECK IN 7 AM SATURDAY, JULY 3 STARTING & ENDING AT THE COCOA BEANERY ON BULLFROG VALLEY RD • 5K BEGINS 8 AM • 1 MILE FUN RUN/WALK BEGINS 8:45 AM
Join people from all over South Central Pennsylvania to run, walk, and have fun while supporting families in need. This professionally timed event winds along a scenic trail consisting of hills and flats. Cash prizes of $100 will be given to the male and female winners of the Competitive 5K Race. Awards will also be given to the top three male and female runners in the following age groups: 14 and under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70+. Children under the age of 10 will receive a gift bag and medal.
Register online. Prior to June 15, entry fees are $30 for adults and $20 for children ages 18 and under. All registrations before June 15 are guaranteed a race T-shirt.
For more information, contact the Love INC office by calling (717) 835-0101 or by emailing Office@LoveINCGreaterHershey.org. All proceeds from this race will benefit Love INC and its community outreach programs.